A robot lawn mower is a self-operating lawn mower that uses sensors, GPS, and robotic technology to mow your lawn. You can schedule your robot lawn mower to mow your lawn whenever you want, and it will automatically mow your lawn and then return to its charging station when it’s finished.
Robot lawnmowers are complex machines, and so are there working processes. In this article, we will take a look at how robot lawn mowers work and the benefits they offer.
How Does a Robot Lawn Mower Work?
Most robotic lawn mowers are designed to work on flat surfaces, but even if your yard is not perfectly flat, that shouldn’t be a problem.
These mowers can adjust their height enough to make up for any difference in terrain within reason, and they will still function well. This article explains, how does a robot lawnmower works?
The navigation system on a robotic lawn mower is what allows it to move around your yard by itself.
Because these mowers are designed for use in the home, they have to be able to detect objects that could cause them harm to avoid them. This will allow for maximum safety while working in your yard.
A robotic lawnmower will use an ultrasonic or optical detection system to measure the area in front of them.
They can detect objects up to 2 feet away, so this should give you a good idea of how much room they have to work with before running into something that could cause damage.
When your mower detects an object, its movement is stopped until it is cleared of the object. However, most people will not notice this stop because it does not affect the mower’s movement.
For example, if your robot lawnmower bumps into a rock and stops moving, only you will be able to tell since all other movements continue uninterrupted.
This makes robotic lawnmowers extremely easy to use. Once the lawnmower has detected what is in front of it, it will evaluate if this area should be cut.
If not, your robotic lawnmower will continue moving on its programmed path. However, if it should cut the grass at that point, then it will turn towards where it needs to go next and begin cutting there instead.
It does this by memorizing where it has already been cut and in what order. Once the lawnmower finishes its route, you will be left with a pristine green yard that looks like it was just professionally maintained even though you did all of the work yourself.
The best thing about robotic lawnmowers is that they are self-sufficient. They do not require any special tools for maintenance and you won’t have to worry about gas, oil, spark plugs, or air filters.
What are The Benefits of Robotic Lawn Mower
Here are the benefits of robot lawn mowers that you can consider before buying one for yourself.
1. A robotic lawn mower will allow your grass to grow 3-4 inches tall before it cuts the grass again. This means that if you let your grass grow tall, it will be much healthier and you won’t have to cut your grass as much.
2. If you don’t want to spend all day cutting your lawn, a robotic lawnmower is perfect for the job. All you need to do is program it in the morning when you wake up and let it work while you go on with your day.
3. If you are not home during the day it can be difficult to keep your grass away from overgrown bushes.
The solution to this problem is a robotic lawn mower that will trim your yard to an even height without damaging your plants or flowers.
4. Most robot lawnmowers can detect objects in their path and stop their movement. This is useful for preventing accidents with kids, pets, or other objects in your yard.
5. While robotic lawnmowers are perfect for people who don’t have time to mow their lawn, they are also great for the elderly or disabled who may have trouble using a push mower.
These types of mowers require no effort on your part and will give you a perfectly cut lawn every time.
6. And, these mowers are great for people who suffer from allergies. If you want to be outside breathing fresh air but not having to smell smelly fumes or feel oily dirt on your skin, you can set the robotic lawnmower to work while everyone else is enjoying the fresh air outside.
7. While the cost of a robotic lawnmower is generally higher than a push mower, they are well worth it when you take into consideration all of the time and money that they save.
Not only do you have to purchase gasoline for your mower, but you also have to spend time driving from store to store looking for it.
8. You will also be able to spend more time with family and friends instead of having to push a push mower all day or pay someone else to do it for you every couple of weeks.
Finally, most people end up spending less money on their robotic lawnmowers because they don’t need gas.
9. Many of the robots don’t even have a rotating blade that you have to worry about. The robotic lawnmowers also allow you to program the grass height so it doesn’t cut off too much of your growth.
What are the Problems A Robotic Lawn Mower May Face
Here are the problems with robotic lawnmowers that you should be aware of.
1. Compared to push mowers, the only problems people run into with robot lawnmowers can be avoided by taking a few precautions.
The first thing you should do is find out if there are any hidden wires in your yard so the robot lawnmower doesn’t run over them.
It’s also a good idea to have someone stand in the way of the mower if you use it for the first time just in case there is an object that gets in its path.
2. The problem you may run into is having your robot lawnmower head towards areas of your garden that aren’t grass.
This can be avoided by setting up an electrified fence in these areas. This fence will keep the mower from heading over to your plants.
3. Another problem is that of rocks getting stuck in the blades of the mower, making it jam. If this happens, you will need to stop the robot lawnmower and remove these objects manually.
4. You have to take care of your garden regularly. If you let branches or vines grow into the path, they may get stuck and damage the mower.
To avoid this damage, make sure you keep any obstructions trimmed away from where it needs to go next and begin cutting there instead.
5. If you let your grass grow too high, the mower will stop until it’s at an appropriate height.
6. The biggest problem with robotic lawnmowers is the need for a nearby power source.
A normal robot lawnmower can run about 2 hours on the battery once fully charged, which may not be long enough to do your entire yard.
7. Robotic lawn mowers are designed to stay in one spot and won’t move around without your instruction.
Although this is great for certain areas because you can set it up to work on one area without having to go back and forth, there are times where you may want the mower to stop working in one place so it goes onto another.
In the end, robot lawn mowers are great for people who don’t have time to cut their grass.
They do all the work while you’re gone and keep your yard perfectly trimmed. All you need to be responsible for is keeping any obstructions or plants away from where it needs to go next.
The best thing about robotic lawnmowers is that they don’t produce any harmful fumes or create heat that could potentially burn your skin.
This allows you to stay outside and enjoy the fresh air while leaving all of the dirty work to someone else.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are robotic lawnmowers reliable?
It’s generally well known that robotic lawn mowers are the most reliable lawn mower on the market. The only problem people usually run into is when they’re first learning how to use it.
Once you’ve used your mower for a couple of months, you will already know how to use it well enough that you won’t be bumping into things or cutting into something you didn’t want to be.
What is the best robotic lawn mower?
The only way to find out which one is going to work best for your needs is by trying it out yourself.
You will need to keep in mind that a robot lawnmower with a small circumference will not cut as much grass as one with a larger circumference.
You should also consider how big your yard is when thinking about which robot lawnmower to buy.
How long do robot mowers last?
Robot lawnmowers typically last between 3-7 years. However, you should not expect one to work right for any longer than 5 years even if it’s never been used before.
Do robotic lawnmowers work in the rain?
No, robotic lawn mowers are designed with sensors that prevent them from working when they’re raining. This can be an issue if you live in an area where it rains frequently.
How many hours of use do robot mowers offer?
Robot lawnmowers can run about 2-3 hours on a single charge. This is useful for most yard sizes, but you will have to plan accordingly if your yard is larger.
How long does it take a robotic lawnmower to recharge?
It takes about 12 hours for a robot lawnmower to recharge once the battery has been completely drained.
This means that if you only use your mower in the mornings, you will probably have to charge at night.
However, if you use your mower in the afternoon or evening, you can typically begin charging it a few hours after the last time you used it and still be able to use it again in the morning.
Do robot mowers cut wet grass?
Some robot lawnmowers come with a rain sensor to prevent them from working when it’s raining.
This means that if your grass is wet, the mower won’t be able to work and you’ll have to wait until the grass dries before using it again.
Do robotic lawnmowers collect the grass?
No, robot lawnmowers can’t collect the grass in your yard. You’ll have to rake or push the grass into piles and then use a blower to clean up before you put it back down again.
This isn’t always necessary since you won’t be cutting all of your grass at once, but when there is a significant amount of grass on the ground, you should consider raking it up so that it doesn’t become a problem.
Can robot mowers cross a path?
Some robotic lawn mowers are designed with wide, flat edges to make it easier for them to cross paths. However, if you don’t want the mower cutting the grass on your path, you should consider this when purchasing a robot lawnmower.
What kind of grass can be cut by robot mowers?
Most robotic lawn mowers are designed to work on most grass types, but your results will vary depending on the height of your yard.
If you have tall grass, you should consider switching to an electric lawnmower or gas-powered lawnmower because they may not be able to cut through it without getting damaged.
Does my robotic lawnmower come with extra blades?
Most robot mowers don’t come with spare blades since they can damage easily. However, you should consider whether or not you want to pay more for a device that comes with spare blades.
If you maintain your mower regularly, it may be possible to change the blade without having to spend money on a replacement.
I am John Kouchek, the founder of Own The Smart Home. I am passionate about making homes smarter and more efficient. I have a degree in Robotics and Automation (MSc) and have worked in the home automation industry for over 10 years. Learn More!