If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about the doorbell at your home very often. But what if there was a way to change the ringtone of your doorbell so that it was more personal, or even just so that it better fit the style of your home?
Interestingly, there are a few ways that you can change the ringtone of your doorbell, depending on the type of doorbell that you have.
Can You Change Ring Doorbell Tone Outside?
Yes, you can change the Ring Doorbell tone outside. This can make your solution even more responsive to the dynamic requirements of home security.
The Ring Doorbell can be used either internally or externally. The internal use case is pretty much what it says on the tin the Doorbell button is installed inside your house where it isn’t likely to get wet or damaged, nor would you need to worry too much about windy weather tolling the bell.
However, if you want to install your doorbell outside to make it easy for people to press without being at the doorstep, you have to wire up an external speaker unit.
In this post, I will be discussing how to change the ring doorbell home outside? Why is there a need to change it and what are the benefits if you change the ring doorbell sound outside?
How to change ring doorbell tone outside? Step By Step Guide
How to change ring doorbell tone outside
Total Time: 30 minutes
First, you need the Ring Doorbell. After that, you will need to wire up an external speaker unit. It’s easy enough to do, but it requires some work and wire-management skills.
If you’re not comfortable with basic wiring issues, then this project is probably best left to a professional electrician or handyman.
Now, you can move on to the next step. Connect your external speaker unit to the Ring Doorbell. Take the speaker wire and run it along with whatever wall or surface you want until it reaches where you need to connect with power (i.e., an outdoor outlet).
Make sure that wherever you terminate this wire is safe from rain, snow, water, etc. Once you have terminated the wire in a safe location, run it back to your Ring Doorbell.
Connect one end of the wire to your external speaker unit and connect the other end to your wireless doorbell.
Now that everything is connected properly, you can test what ring tone sounds best outside.
Speak into the microphone on your Ring Doorbell and see which ringtone is the loudest and most audible. If you’re not sure which one it is, speak into each of them one by one until you find the right match for your doorbell.
That’s all about how to change the ring doorbell tone outside? Remember this post if you want to learn about the benefits of changing the ring doorbell tone outside.
Benefits if you change the ring doorbell sound outside:
In this section, I will discuss several benefits of changing the Ring Doorbell tone outside.
The benefits are as follows.
- The first benefit is to make it comfortable for those who visit your front door. You can customize a Ring Doorbell sound for your front door. This way everyone who rings will have a pleasant experience and feel comfortable here. You can get a ring tone that matches the theme of your house or just sounds good overall it’s up to you.
- Ring Doorbell sound outside alerts people from further away because they can hear the bell from anywhere in the house.
- It is very helpful when you have a large property and need to know whenever someone approaches your front door.
- It also works in cases where people don’t feel like getting up and answering the doorbell this way it alerts them who’s there and they can respond (leave a video message or something).
- It can be great for someone who works from home and needs to monitor the front door.
- It can be very simple for you to answer your front door from anywhere in the world using a smartphone.
- It is also good if someone who works from home needs to monitor the front door this way it will give them peace of mind that everything is okay at home.
- You can get a ring tone that matches the theme of your house or just sounds good overall it’s up to you.
How to fix Ring Doorbell Sound Outside Problem
If there is no sound coming from the external speaker unit, then there might be an issue with the wiring or settings. If you are unable to get ringtone sound to work, try the following solutions:
Check your connections and make sure it’s all wired up correctly if not re-wire this connection.
Make sure your Ring Doorbell is plugged in properly. Sometimes, if there is a loose wire in your Ring Doorbell, the unit won’t send the ringtone signal to your speaker.
Check to make sure that the speaker settings are correctly configured.
Make sure that your external speaker unit is plugged in properly.
Verify that the speaker volume is turned up and not set to low.
Try plugging it into a different outlet to see if there’s any change in your doorbell sound.
Make sure that you’re using the right ringtone for your front door (check the list previously mentioned). This could be why you aren’t hearing the doorbell ring.
Make sure that you’ve selected the correct connection or setting for your speaker unit (i.e., Bluetooth, Auxiliary, etc.)
If neither of these works for you, then it might be a faulty unit.
Test with different ringtones to see which one gets sound out of the external speaker. If this does not fix the problem, it might be time to contact Ring for some technical support on this issue.
What if You Don’t Want Ring Doorbell to Produce a Sound When Someone Rings the Doorbell?
In this section, I will explain how to turn off the ring doorbell sound when someone rings the doorbell.
There are many reasons you might want to disable your Ring Doorbell chime from making a sound when somebody rings the bell.
If there is a sick person at home and they’re sleeping, turning off the Chime can be helpful. If you want to surprise someone by not making a sound when they ring the doorbell or just because you don’t like it, here’s how to do it.
How to Silence a Doorbell?
1. Open the Ring app and tap the menu icon on the top left corner of the screen.
2. Scroll down until you find ‘ Sound & Motion Settings ‘ and tap it.
3. In the Sound & Motion screen, you will see a toggle for the Doorbell – turn it off by sliding the toggle to the right so that it turns white.
4. You will see a ‘Chime’ button below the toggle – slide it to the off position.
5. It will ask you if you want to disable the chime just for now or until you turn it back on select your choice and tap ‘Done. Now your Ring Doorbell Chime is turned off
6. If you want to turn it on later, follow the same steps and toggle the buttons back on.
Finally, you can install your Ring Doorbell outside. Use screws or adhesive tape to secure the device to whatever surface you want (I recommend using an outdoor outlet cover for added protection).
Once your doorbell is up and running, make sure to subscribe to the Ring app on your phone. It provides many useful features like motion alerts on your smartphone, instant doorbell alerts, etc.
Can Ring Doorbell play different tones?
Yes, you can choose from different chimes that are included with the application. You can also use your file as a ring tone for your doorbell if you have one.
Can I delete my existing sound files?
Yes, to delete existing sounds tap on the selected sound and hit ‘delete’. Then tap save changes.
What if I want to turn off my Ring Doorbell Chime?
You can simply turn it off by sliding the toggle on the ‘Sound and Motion’ screen to the right so that it turns white. Then slide the ‘Chime’ button below the toggle to the off position. This will only disable the chime for now or until you turn it back on
Can I set the volume of the chime?
Yes, you can change the volume from within Chime Settings. The Ring Doorbell speaker’s volume is controlled by a switch. So if your unit is facing a corner or away from a wall, there will be minimal sound projection. If this happens then you can purchase a wireless speaker to be used for your Ring Doorbell.
How many tones are available for my Ring Doorbell?
There are dozen of ringtones available on both iPhone and Android devices that you can set as your preferred sound.
What happens if the power goes out?
If there is no power, the Ring Doorbell will not work.
I am John Kouchek, the founder of Own The Smart Home. I am passionate about making homes smarter and more efficient. I have a degree in Robotics and Automation (MSc) and have worked in the home automation industry for over 10 years. Learn More!